Connect with us


Latest Trending News

I've known him for 50 years – Akpabio's classmate reacts to sexual misconduct saga

Published

5a2cb23c 54f8 4f7e 94e3 b57190e8f14b

Charles Zuofa, a former classmate of the Senate President Godswill Akpabio, has reacted to the sexual harassment allegations against his old friend, describing the claims as inconsistent with the ex-Akwa Ibom State governor’s character.

Zuofa, who hails from Kaiama in Kolokuma-Opokuma Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, made this known when speaking to reporters in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, on Friday, March 28, 2025.

He disclosed that, having known Akpabio for over 50 years, none of the allegations could describe his character. He stressed that, unless proven by the court, the Senate President had never displayed any traits or attitude suggesting sexual harassment for the over five decades he had been closely related to him.

Zuofa maintained that the allegations by Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and the one made by a former Interim Administrator of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Joy Nunieh, were all strange to him.

Advertisement

ALSO READ: Akpabio was investigated for corruption; he’s clean – Murray-Bruce tackles Atiku

Recalling how his friendship with Akpabio started, Zuofa said they both met at the Federal Government College in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, adding that the former governor was fondly called ‘Gody A’ because of his sense of humour and intelligence.

“Gody A, as we used to call him back then in FGC, Port Harcourt was a very intelligent, yet humorous student. Before stand-up comedy became popular in Nigeria, Gody A was a stand-up comedian. He contested, I think in our 4th year and won the best DJ and stand-up comedian of the school. It was thereafter that we coined and gave him the nickname ‘Gody A’,” he said.

“The Senate President was someone who made light of what would ordinarily pass for serious situations. He always cracked jokes to make everyone feel comfortable in his presence. The Senate President, even in his humorous nature, was a serious-minded, studious, and intelligent student who exhibited high-level leadership qualities.

“He was our Senior Prefect and, you know, to be Senior Prefect you must be a well-rounded individual who embodies leadership, responsibility, integrity, and strong interpersonal skills. As Senior Prefect.”

Advertisement

He continued, “Godswill Akpabio played a crucial role in maintaining order, fostering a positive school environment, and serving as a role model for the entire student body.

“I am not surprised that the high-quality leadership traits he exhibited back then, has now catapulted him to the leadership of the legislative arm of the Federal Government of Nigeria.”

Zuofa speaks on friendship with Akpabio after school

Zuofa said that after their FGC years, the duo has remained close friends and maintained close contact, noting that he has featured in many public engagements, celebrations, and receptions involving Akpabio.

ALSO READ: Akpabio’s ally calls Ezekwesili an ‘insult to womanhood’ in heated exchange over Natasha’s case

“A documentary was made to celebrate Godswill Akpabio at 50. I spoke on behalf of his friends in the documentary. I was also present at his 59th birthday held in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. I was further present at his 61st birthday and a well-attended triumphant homecoming held at the world-renowned Godswill Akpabio Stadium.

Advertisement

“My presence and active involvement at the organization of these milestone events underscore the durability and depth of our relationship.”

Though he acknowledged the seriousness of Natasha’s allegations against Akpabio, he argued that “the allegations of sexual harassment do not align with the behaviour and conduct of the Senator Godswill Obot Akpabio that I have known and interacted with very closely for 50 years.

“Senator Godswill Obot Akpabio, who is a remarkably close friend and about whom I can safely give a character opinion, has always displayed and treated women with utmost courtesy and respect.

“I must restate that the current allegations of sexual harassment are entirely contrary to my personal experience of the Senate President, and I would consider it totally unfounded until otherwise proven.”

Advertisement

Turo247News is on WhatsApp!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

Share News with us via Email: turo247newz.com@gmail.com

Join Our Social Media Channels
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest Trending News

Sterling Bank leads protest for removal of bank transfer charges

Published

on

2471d3c1 873c 48ab ad8a 4b6869fd206d 1743714180

 In a landmark move that sets a new benchmark for customer-focused banking in Nigeria, Sterling Bank has championed the cancellation of bank transfer fees by major banks, announcing it will no longer take any money for itself for any local online transactions by its customers.The announcement, made on April 1st, initially sparked widespread arguments, with many assuming it was a marketing prank tied to April Fools Day. However, Sterling has confirmed that this is no stunt: the zero-transfer-fee policy is real, and effective immediately.With this move, Sterling becomes the first major Nigerian bank to take a definitive stand against the long-standing practice of charging customers for everyday digital transfers, an issue that has grown increasingly contentious as digital banking adoption deepens.We believe access to your own money shouldnt come with a penalty, said Obinna Ukachukwu, Growth Executive leading the Consumer and Business Banking Directorate. This is more than a financial decision, its a values-based one. It reflects our commitment to making banking fair, inclusive, and truly customer focused.Were not yet the biggest bank in Nigeria, but weve been the boldest, Ukachukwu added. Sterling fearlessly believes in the future of Nigeria, and this is us backing Nigerians with more than words.Under the new policy, Sterling customers will enjoy free transfers for all local transactions conducted via the banks mobile app. This translates into significant savings, particularly for individuals and new small business owners who make frequent daily transfers.This customer-first orientation is not new for Sterling. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the bank stood out by providing supplementary payments to healthcare workers in public hospitalsat a time when few others were willing or able to offer additional support. From that moment to now, Sterling has continued to redefine what it means to be a responsible and responsive institution.The banks latest move has been met with widespread public approval, sparking positive reactions across social media and placing pressure on industry peers to follow suit.Were proud to lead this change, Ukachukwu added. We hope it inspires others to think differently about what customers truly need from their banks, not just in services, but in values.Online communities were not excluded as WhatsApp Nigeria lit up with viral broadcasts as users forwarded the news across various groups, including one from a prayer circle that read: Please my good people this is not a joke!!! Sterling Bank has just shocked Nigeria today o!! My neighbour Justina just transferred N100k and no charges!!! God bless Sterling Bank!!. The message quickly gained traction, sparking massive public interest and mounting pressure on other banks to follow suit.Sterlings zero-fee policy is part of a broader strategy to transform the customer experience and deliver transparent, ethical banking solutions at scale.About Sterling BankSterling Bank is a full-service national commercial bank in Nigeria, focused on building a more equitable and sustainable future through its HEART strategy, targeting investments in Health, Education, Agriculture, Renewable Energy, and Transportation. With a growing reputation for innovation and customer advocacy, Sterling continues to lead with impact, empathy, and execution.The post Sterling Bank leads protest for removal of bank transfer charges appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.


Turo247News is on WhatsApp!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

Share News with us via Email: turo247newz.com@gmail.com

Join Our Social Media Channels
Continue Reading

Latest Trending News

Gridlock: Umahi apologises to Lagosians, Tinubu, says bridge closed without approval

Published

on

b009b179 0a8f 472e ae61 59d8cb068a1d

Senator Dave Umahi, Minister of Works, has apologised to Lagos residents and President Bola Tinubu for the disruption caused by the sudden closure of the Independence Bridge.

Umahi apologised when he visited the bridge site in Lagos on Thursday.

He said that the closure of the bridge was for urgent rehabilitation of the collapsed return wall, carried out without his knowledge or authorisation by the Federal Controller of Works, Lagos.

He said: ”But unfortunately, when the bridge was to be closed, I was not informed. The controller did that on her own, and it’s very unfortunate, because for a bridge to be closed, especially in Lagos, as you know, has been the tradition. I should be informed as the minister.

Advertisement

“We should also have studied the implications, even though it’s an emergency situation. We would have deployed an emergency evaluation of the implications of closing the bridge.

” Was there any other thing we would have done? And then why do we take time to do the proper work?”.

Umahi warned that controllers and engineers would face disciplinary action should this type of incident happen again.

“I use the opportunity to warn all controllers and engineers all over the country, never you close a road or close any bridge without running through the permanent secretary, who will seek for the permission from the Honorable Minister of works,” he said.

The minister acknowledged the Lagos State Government’s efforts in managing traffic flow during the closure, which he said eased the gridlock.

Advertisement

He also took responsibility for the error, stating, “I take responsibility for it, even though I did not order it, but every action by any staff or ministry of works, I take responsibility for that.”

Umahi acknowledged that the closure, which caused significant traffic congestion, was avoidable.

He said, “If we’re to do this properly, a different kind of method would have been deployed and wouldn’t have necessitated the total closure.”

He further explained that even if closure were necessary, it would have been done in such a way that it would take three days: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and necessary remedial work would have been put in place before the remedial work.

Umahi outlined a plan for immediate restoration, saying, “So what we are doing now is to restore the bridge temporarily within the next three days. By Sunday, this place will be totally open.”

Advertisement

He added that a permanent solution would be implemented after a two-week assessment period.

And then, after two weeks, we will look at the settlements, and then we will take out three days to put the permanent structure. That is what we are going to do,” he said.

The Minister emphasised the competence of the contractor, Build Well, highlighting their experience in bridge restoration.

“Build Well is a reputable company. They have been restoring many failures on our bridges in Lagos, some of them 53 years old, and they are very reputable in handling these bridges.

“Some bridges spans have been lifted up, especially Eko Bridge, Marina Bridge, and even the Lagos-Ibadan Bridge, they are also intervening in all of them,” he added.

Advertisement

The minister also said that the design of the bridge would be varied to address the emergency.

He said, “And so we have discussed, we are going to vary the design. The design will be varied according to the emergency situation we’ve had on the ground. And the contractor is going to cooperate with us.”

He pledged to personally oversee the restoration efforts, saying, “I’m not going until the bridge is fully restored by Sunday. We will work day and night to restore it, and then we will evaluate it.”

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the bridge was initially closed on April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works, with the government planning to complete the repairs by May.

Advertisement

Turo247News is on WhatsApp!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

Share News with us via Email: turo247newz.com@gmail.com

Join Our Social Media Channels
Continue Reading

Latest Trending News

Ex-Premier League defender, Lucien Aubey jailed for fraud after scamming his friend out of more than £120,000.

Published

on

96838909 0 image a 24 1743606621593

A former Premier League defender has been jailed for fraud after scamming his friend out of more than 120,000.  Lucien Aubey, 40, was handed a two-year jail term, with 12 months suspended by a court in the French city of Toulouse.  He previously made three Premier League appearances for Portsmouth in the 2007-08 season, when the club won the FA Cup under Harry Redknapp.  As well as winning five caps for Congo, he also played for Toulouse, Rennes and Reims in addition to clubs in Turkey and Cyprus. Aubey and his co-accused Mohamed Dia, a clothes designer, allegedly told the man, named only as Sebastien, 42, that he would earn 1million in three years’ time.  But he has now been found guilty of fraud after getting a friend to invest in the creation of a record label. The individual had also previously landed a 170,000 payout following a road accident. Aubey had previously been declared bankrupt and disqualified from setting up a company, while shoe repairer Sebastien went to the police but never saw his investment again. He accused Aubey of threatening to harm his children after seeking repayment. Sebastien, 42, said: ‘I lost everything, and my wife wanted to commit suicide. I had to give up work. ‘We split up, and those two [Aubey and Dia] just had a good laugh about it all.’ Aubey told the court: ‘My money was tied up in Cyprus, held by my club Olympiakos Nicosia. This wasn’t a fraud – I never robbed anyone.’ But prosecutors were able to reveal phone conversations between the ex-footballer and Dia, which demonstrated an intent to defraud Sebastien. On Monday, the court ordered Aubey to repay 145,000, and to not contact his victim while Dia received a one-year suspended jail term for his actions.The post Ex-Premier League defender, Lucien Aubey jailed for fraud after scamming his friend out of more than 120,000. appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.


Turo247News is on WhatsApp!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN

Share News with us via Email: turo247newz.com@gmail.com

Join Our Social Media Channels
Continue Reading